Monday, February 20, 2012

The Saints in my Life

I am thinking of the saints in my life today. There is a saying, "Wherever there is a saint, there is a martyr living with them." I am holding that battle flag in my back pocket when dealing with family members. We take turns having pity parties and patting each other on the back. I have to remember it is in the simplicity of the acts of love that we are sanctified and satisfied. I have great saints in my life and I am forever grateful to God to have the opportunity to learn from them. My father is one. He has Altzeimer. He is 87 and asks me when I am taking him to school today. I tell him its Saturday and he gets to stay home but we will go to Walgreens later and that means a candy bar and a drink. He is forever happy to see me. I am his wife, sister, mother or daughter  on any given day. He teases me and says, "Give me an apple." I correct him and say, "Please give me an apple." and he replies, "Please give me an apple before I knock your head off." Then he laughs. I love my dad. When I put him to bed there is a routine. He says I am the only one who can put his c-pap mask on correctly. When I put his blankets on and turn on his music CD, I always say, "I love you dad", and sometimes he says, " of course you do, I'm your little brother."  I am having more fun with my father than when he didn't have Altzeimers. We were not close nor was he any prize winning father. He needs me now, that is the difference; and I need him. Even when he projectile vomited all over my dashboard in my car, it was funny. It was one of those- I can't believe I just fed you hot dogs and and they are now all over my car in minute pieces with slime moments. My dad is forever grateful, and that is the difference. He is always saying thank you. I keep reminding myself, "When I get Alzeimers, I need to remember to say thank you!" I keep saying to my kids, "I've told God He can have all of me, mind, body and soul, but I've asked him to keep my sense of humor just for you." I don't think they think its funny and I think they are going to put me on an iceburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment