Monday, February 20, 2012

Lock and Load


      When you hear your husband say over the phone from work, "I know you are stressed about selling the house, but you need to sit down...are you sitting?" It makes you do one of two things: the impulses in the brain immediately go to the file of : 'Where did I put that bottle of scotch I put away for special occasions last year?' or you go to the 'safe place' you've created in your mind for stressful emergencies...mine is at the foot of the cross. Maybe this time its with a scotch and water!
       Anyway, Ed then proceeds to tell me that the police came to the Port, which is shipping out equipment to Iraq for the soldiers this week, and they told him that protesters called into the radio station in Aberdeen and Olympia and stated that, "If the Port Officials were going to bring the war to the U.S., then they would bring the war to Port Official's homes and families."
     My heart just fell. I looked around at two of my children sitting there and vowed not to let them know any fear of this.  I know my husband was sick about it.  He has worked himself to death trying to maintain and prepare security for the Port for all to go smooth, knowing full well there are those out there that would do anything to get into the newspaper, including our notorious Olympia Councilman who got arrested last time the military went out of the Port of Olympia.  Ironic as  it may be, Ed only has a week and a half more at the Port before his new job starts! 
     Ed says lock up, get the video camera out and ready and no kids in the front yard. Tell the neighbors and call the neighborhood security guard.  Oh, and by the way, no open house this weekend, we don't want just anyone wandering through our home...GRRRRR-RREAT.
     I tell the principal at the school my kids went to, just in case.  I tell the bored 16 year old ....well, you never saw so much enthusiasm in your life.  Now we are talking about fun.  Lock and load.  He will be busy for hours figuring out the exact details of a 'Home Alone' scenario to protect the perimeter of the property and guard the women and children. Is the roof off limits? What about the neighbor's roofs?
     I called my pacifist 24 year old daughter to let her know and to blow off steam.  She laughs. "Its just a day in the life of our family mom!" She states, "They probably won't do any harm, usually they are anti-violence. They just want to make a point."  I say, "Yea, well they just arrested them climbing the fences, taking pictures of classified materials, and pouring cement on the railroad tracks.  They closed down the City Hall in Aberdeen because of them."  She says, "Please, no bullets mom."  I reply, "I wouldn't think of using bullets. I am not going to shoot someone because they harm a shrub in my yard, but they come to my front door and I am going to open the door, grab them by their dreadlocks and pull them inside and let your brother practice paintball shots at them in the garage while they run around screaming like little girls."
     My daughter says, "Paintball is ok, it hurts like hell, but it won't kill them. "  Spoken like a true pacifist....gosh I love her spirit!
     I won't stress over this, I know St. Joseph will sell our home...with or without protesters out front.  The neighbors will probably be glad to see us go!
   (Written five years ago in Olympia, WA)

No comments:

Post a Comment